This presentation will discuss the state of dementia care research and its implications for supporting people with intellectual disabilities who are living with dementia. Drawing upon tested efficacious interventions, specific interventions will be discussed both in terms of their outcomes as well as their essential elements and treatment principles that can be applied to working with people with intellectual disabilities living with dementia.
Interventions will be shared that view the individual within their living context and address modifiable factors that may be contributing to care challenges. Interventions assume a person-centric and tailored approach and address the needs of the person as well as their care partners to help support quality of life.
1. Delineate the state of dementia care research and its implications for supporting people with IDD who are living with dementia.
2. Describe interventions that can be applied to working with people with IDD living with dementia.
3. Identify modifiable factors that may be contributing to care challenges.
Laura Gitlin, Ph.D., FGSA, FAAN, Executive Director, The AgeWell Collaboratory, Distinguished University Professor and Dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions Drexel University
Laura N. Gitlin, PhD, an applied research sociologist, is the dean of the College of Nursing and Health Professions at Drexel University. Gitlin is nationally and internationally recognized for her research on developing, evaluating, and implementing novel home and community-based interventions that improve quality of life of persons with dementia and their family caregivers, enhance daily function of older adults with disability and address mental health disparities. She is a well-funded researcher, having received continuous research and training grants from federal agencies and private foundations for over 35 years.
1. Webinar is free.
2. CEUs are not offered for the webinar.
3. Webinar and materials will be recorded and archived on HealthMatters Program YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVlDGGNnuQQ0ACAED8pQxs3SILDoACigy).
4. For disability accommodations email Jasmina Sisirak (email@example.com) at least 10 days before the webinar.